Welcome to 8B Chemistry!
Explore states of matter; elements, compounds, mixtures; physical and chemical changes; conservation of matter and chemical reactions.
Matter: - mass, volume, density, solids, liquids, gases, melting, freezing, condensation, vaporization, boiling, , evaporization, physical properties - physical changes - chemical properties - chemical change
Elements/Compounds/Mixtures: - atom - element - compound - homogeneous mixture - heterogeneous mixture
Periodic Table: atomic number - atomic mass - families - periods - element symbol - metals - nonmetals - metalloids
Law of Conservation of Mass
Physical and Chemical Change Objectives:
1. Students will be able to classify examples of characteristics as a specific physical property
2. Students will be able to describe a given object using the common physical properties taught in class
3. Students will be able to investigate a change in a substance and be able to determine if it is a physical change or a chemical change.
4. Students will be able to develop a lab to demonstrate a chemical reaction (chemical change) using the scientific method.
Elements, Compounds and Mixtures Objectives:
1. Students will be able to compare and contrast elements, compounds and mixtures
2. Students will be able to identify common elements, compounds and mixtures
3. Students will be able to describe how elements bond together to form compounds
Chemical Reactions Objectives:
1. Students will be able to describe the chemical changes that signal a chemical reaction has taken place
2. Students will be able to use the Law of Conservation of Mass to justify how mass is not gained or lost during a chemical reaction
1. Students will be able to demonstrate how elements are organized on the periodic table.
2. Students will be able to locate an element using only the family/group number and period #
3. Students will be able to explain the purpose of the stair-step on the periodic table.
4. Students will be able to use the periodic table to describe various properties of given elements.